Tuesday, April 3, 2012

shoot salad mix

I'm so glad that I'm finally producing the shoot salad mix consistently now. A few folks on the island have told me that they've been looking for it in the produce cooler and have been disappointed because it's never there.  From now on, it'll be there!

It all depended on me ordering a new batch of purple daikon radish seeds when they became available. The last order I got had too high a percentage of green plants coming up in the mix and it was causing me grief.  In order for this lovely and delicious mix of textures, shapes, flavours and colours to work the way I want it to, I need that gorgeous purple radish colour with not too much of the green.

These rascals are a bit more special (aka expensive) than the pea and sun shoot seeds but I think they're worth it.

The bag of new radish seeds arrived last week so I got down to planting right away.  There are always a few green ones but this is perfectly purply!  Not quite ready for harvest.  Another couple days.

Sweet little heart shaped leaves.

It's a real joy to have such a nice long line of purple growing in the greenhouse again!

Shoot salad mix for my lunch in the garden yesterday.  Pea shoots.  Sunflower shoots.  Purple Daikon Radish shoots.  Delicious greens with a wee little spicy radish kick. So good in sandwiches too.  yummmy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delish! Where could I order those seeds? I am in the deep south in US.

    ReplyDelete